Monday, January 7, 2013

Of inherited land and selling: Part 2


Alex is a smooth talker, no wonder he actually always had a way of convincing even the toughest of the fairer sex and of course his stint as a pastor gave him a chance to horn this attribute. Typical of him to first mention religious matters and keen to know how I was doing in that regard. After laying the base with the religious niceties he dropped the bombshell. Of course I knew of how he sold his inherited property, bought a cheaper plot, build the mabati house and squandered the rest. So when he narrated how he had this nice business idea that I buy a taxi, he runs it, grow the business into a fleet of taxis bla bla; it was never lost on me what he had gone through.

And so I asked him, “How comes you never thought of buying that Taxi with the cash you had after sale of the ½ acre plot?” He was quick to answer, “of course I had thought of that but opted to start the business of importing mitumbas which unfortunately never really kicked off and somehow the cash I had kept diminishing to a point where it dried up mysteriously” I knew I was in a scenario where I had to wriggle my way out because in all fairness I never felt that buying a taxi would amount to a worthwhile venture, not with him as the main guy. Actually, the idea of entrusting my good friend with a business having known his history was the last thing I’d entertain.

However, this was a friend in dire need of help and leaving him in that status would not be good. And so, I floated an idea to him that in my opinion seemed workable and practical. I told him of a housing development we were undertaking and that I’d recommend him to the Project Manager just to assist him source materials. Just to go round looking for the best deal for sand, ballast, quarry stones, cement and any other material the guy could get just for some small commissions. Interestingly, he accepted that idea and as we speak he is a broker sort of and doing just fine. At least he can feed and clothe his family and even educate the kids.

Whenever I speak to him he wishes he’d turn back the hands of time especially due to the lost time but at least he is now much more positive about his life and earns an honest living. He claims he’d can never sell anything he inherits as he is convinced that there is a curse on ‘that land’. Of course he hopes that there is more land to inherit form his mum but it may not be the case.

Someday I asked my old man the reason why anyone who sold inherited land around our village always squandered the cash. He told me that it had an interesting history around it. The land was acquired after the infamous Mau Mau war with the colonial masters. It claimed many lives and some people were maimed and all that. When our great grandfathers got the land, having been active fighters, they pronounced a curse on it; that it must never be sold outside the family and it must be passed on from generation to generation. Any sale had to be within the family. It is therefore the case that anyone who sells to anyone outside the family will therefore never help themselves. An interesting perspective but I opted not to engage my old man further on the matter.

Some very strange stories around my village regarding fellows who have sold inherited land. The funniest was this guy who sold the small piece he inherited. He called the villagers from all walks of life, bought them 5 goats, dug a big trench and jumped over it, leaving the villagers on the other side of the trench. The trench and the subsequent jumping was a symbol of him having the crossed the divide from poverty to riches. He waved the villagers bye and zoomed off into riches leaving them to enjoy the 5 goats to mark the big occasion. Sad part is that he left his family as well only to return back after 1 year having squandered all the cash. Of course he found the wife had already left and got married to someone else and moved on with her life. His only brother accepted him back and gave him some shelter….interestingly it was a story reminiscent of that prodigal son in the bible; I guess these things started way back. Pretty sad that they never learn from other's past experiences. Someone told me that this is tantamount to get bitten by a dog which is chained somewhere.
A friend of mine once told me that the reason these villager have failed to do anything worthwhile with the cash is the fact that they are not used to big money. Obviously if you are playing in the league of maximum ten thousands and all of a sudden you have a windfall of a million, the natural reaction is to assume that you are filthy rich. Most become very generous and get to shopping sprees, get away with some nice girls and assume life will always be like that. Certainly no big money remains big if all you are doing is spending; the net result is a shot back to reality and destitution which is much worse having come from the crest of a sinusoidal wave.

Let our people learn, that whatever you have worked hard for and is acquired through your own sweat, you can freely sell but what you acquired by way of inheritance, you need to pass on to the ones behind you.

Next we shall look at some business practices which are not so good that are attributable to business men who are seemingly doing well; think micromanagement (know when to let go), blowing your own horn as opposed to that of the team, leading as opposed to managing, amongst others.

No comments:

Post a Comment